The 2012 London Summit on Family Planning
The UK Government and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, in partnership with UNFPA, national governments, donors, civil society, the private sector, the research and development community, and others from across the world came together at the London Summit on Family Planning to support the right of women and girls to decide, freely and for themselves, whether, when and how many children they have. The Summit called for unprecedented global political commitments and resources that will enable 120 million more women and girls to use contraceptives by 2020.
To achieve these goals, the London Summit on Family Planning called upon partners to work closely together across a range of areas, including:
- Increasing the demand and support for family planning
- Improving supply chains, systems and service delivery models
- Procuring the additional commodities countries need to reach their goals
- Fostering innovative approaches to family planning challenges
- Promoting accountability through improved monitoring and evaluation